Women’s and Children’s Hospital
On September 26, 2023, THP and the Government of Ontario announced Ontario’s first Women’s and Children’s Hospital. Focusing on health equity and inclusive care for everyone, this historic contribution will improve the health of families and communities over generations. The 200,000-square-foot facility will span two floors within The Peter Gilgan Mississauga Hospital and is designed to meet the highest standards of care.
While it is referred to as a Women’s and Children’s hospital, we are committed to creating safe care environments for all people and families accessing reproductive, gynecological, paediatric and postpartum care, including those who identify outside of the gender binary.
The Women's and Children's Hospital will be purpose-built for the families in our community, offering a full suite of specialized services, integrated care and health system partnerships that will improve generational health in Mississauga and West Toronto. By focusing on women, children, and equity-deserving groups, we are purposefully designing spaces differently to meet the needs of those who have historically been left behind or overlooked in the planning of healthcare services.
The new Women’s and Children’s Hospital will feature:
- A full suite of highly specialized reproductive, gynecological and children’s health services for all people, focused on reducing health inequity and nurturing diversity.
- Dedicated mental health inpatient beds for children and youth - a first for the region.
- Expert care for pregnancies and births, including those that are high-risk, with modern labour and birthing suites for parents and families.
- A Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) including specially-designed couplet care suites to accommodate parents and babies staying together.
- Access to state-of-the-art surgical suites to accommodate specialized procedures closer to home.
- Family-centred care that stretches throughout all areas of the hospital and includes gender-neutral washrooms, breastfeeding areas and a dedicated paediatric zone in the emergency department.
- Excellent patient and family experience with access to highly-trained specialists.
No matter which door you enter through at our hospital, THP will continue to provide access to the right care, in the right place, at the right time. As we continue on this journey, there will be opportunities for the community and our partners to take part in the design of the Women’s and Children’s Hospital, this will ensure we are creating a space that is meaningful and inclusive for all. Together, we are taking another big step toward building a new kind of health care for a healthier community.
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions or watch these videos from our clinical leaders, doctors and nurses.